Friday, December 5, 2014

Narcissism is an Ugly Thing.

 There was a point that I removed most of the mirrors in the house. My bad? I could no longer stand to watch him strut around naked, stop at every mirror along the way, and strike poses that impressed only him. He would flex his muscles, turn sideways and suck in his belly while pulling his leg up. What's up with that? It was making me physically sick to see his admiration of himself.

  He would say, "Look at me!" "Do you ever see men my age, or even younger men who look as good as I do?" "Don't you want me?"


  How could I? I was tired of the dance and had figured out his game. Why would I set myself up for rejection once again? Besides, the attraction was no longer there. If I had said "yes", which I had done before, he would look at me and start laughing. He only wanted the confirmation of being desired, not the actual act.

Narcissism is an ugly thing.


I made the mistake of putting one mirror back up.  Oh my!





nar·cis·sism
ˈnärsəˌsizəm/
noun
noun: narcissism
  1. excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
    synonyms:vanity, self-love, self-admiration, self-absorption, self-obsession, conceit, self-centeredness, self-regard, egotism, egoism
    "his emotional development was hindered by his mother's narcissism"
    antonyms:modesty
    • Psychology
      extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
    • Psychoanalysis
      self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

2 comments:

  1. Stumbled upon your blog and had a good laugh at what you wrote about the mirror. I hear you loud and clear! Been there, done that, got that T Shirt. Its a bloody hard life living with a narcissist. Oh boy.......... I really do feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for feeling for me! I wasn't allowed to feel for myself for many years...Glad you got a good laugh :) It's tough to survive and come out with only a T shirt though, isn't it? Glad you are out! Thanks for the comment and I have many more funny stories that I'll share. Make sure to come back!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for this to be interactive. I welcome your comments.